Applicant Tracking Systems for Recruiting: Importance, Use, and Benefits
Published on January 2nd, 2023
As a recruiter or hiring manager, you know firsthand how time-consuming and overwhelming the recruitment process can be. From sorting through piles of resumes to scheduling and conducting interviews, the search for the perfect candidate can seem never-ending. That's where applicant tracking systems (ATS) come in.
What is an ATS?
An ATS is a type of software that is used by companies to streamline and automate their recruiting and hiring process. It is designed to help organizations manage the large volume of resumes and job applications that they receive and to make it easier to identify and evaluate candidates who may be a good fit for open positions.
One of the main features of an ATS is its ability to collect and store resumes and job applications electronically. This means that instead of sorting through piles of paper resumes, HR professionals can simply search for keywords or job titles in the ATS to find candidates who match their criteria. Many ATSs also allow candidates to apply for jobs online and submit their resumes directly to the system, which makes it easier for companies to track and manage the application process.
In addition to managing resumes and job applications, an ATS can also be used to post job openings on company websites and job boards, schedule interviews, and track the status of open positions. Some ATSs also include tools for conducting background checks, tracking employee referral programs, and generating reports on the recruiting and hiring process.
While an ATS can be a valuable tool for organizations, it is important to note that it is only one part of the recruiting and hiring process. HR professionals still need to review resumes and applications, conduct interviews, and make hiring decisions. However, an ATS can help make these tasks more efficient and effective by automating certain tasks and providing a central location for storing and organizing candidate information.
Overall, an ATS can be a valuable resource for companies that are looking to streamline and improve their recruiting and hiring process. By collecting and storing resumes and job applications electronically, and providing tools for posting job openings and scheduling interviews, an ATS can help organizations save time and resources and make more informed hiring decisions.
However, the benefits of an ATS go beyond the organization. In this article, we'll explore the importance, use, and benefits of applicant tracking systems in the recruiting process.
Importance of Applicant Tracking Systems
As the job market becomes increasingly competitive, it's more important than ever for businesses to streamline their recruitment process and find the best candidates as efficiently as possible. That's where ATS comes in.
These systems allow recruiters to easily sort and filter job applications, quickly identifying the most qualified candidates. They also help eliminate bias in the hiring process by basing decisions on objective criteria, such as education and experience, rather than subjective factors like a candidate's appearance or the way they speak.
In addition, ATS can help businesses save time and money by automating certain tasks, such as sending rejection emails to unqualified candidates. This frees up recruiters to focus on other important tasks, such as building relationships with potential candidates and conducting in-depth interviews with top contenders.
Overall, the use of ATS in recruitment can greatly improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the hiring process.
How to Use Applicant Tracking Systems
Using an ATS is relatively simple. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to get started:
- Choose an ATS: There are many different ATS on the market, each with its own unique features and pricing plans. It's important to do your research and choose the system that best fits your business's needs.
- Set up job postings: Most ATS allows you to post job openings to various job boards and social media platforms directly from the system. Simply enter the job title, location, and other relevant information, and the ATS will handle the rest.
- Review resumes: Once job seekers start applying, their resumes and applications will be stored in the ATS. You can easily sort and filter through them to find the most qualified candidates.
- Schedule interviews: Many ATS has built-in scheduling tools that allow you to set up interviews with candidates directly from the system. You can also use the ATS to send automated interview confirmation emails to candidates.
- Make a hiring decision: After you've conducted all of your interviews, you can use the ATS to compare and rank candidates based on their qualifications and fit for the role. From there, you can make a hiring decision and extend an offer to the chosen candidate.
Benefits of Applicant Tracking Systems
One of the primary uses of ATS is to streamline the job application process for both businesses and candidates. For businesses, ATS allows recruiters to easily post job openings to various job boards and social media platforms, as well as review and sort through resumes and job applications. This saves time and allows recruiters to quickly identify the most qualified candidates.
For candidates, ATS offers a convenient and efficient way to apply for jobs and track their application status. Rather than filling out lengthy application forms or sending emails back and forth with recruiters, candidates can simply upload their resumes and fill out a standardized application form through the ATS. This not only saves time for the candidate but also ensures that all of the necessary information is collected and stored in one central location.
In addition to streamlining the application process
Another use of ATS is to track and measure key recruitment metrics, such as the number of applicants, time to hire, and candidate conversion rate. This can help businesses identify areas for improvement and optimize their recruitment strategy. For example, if a business is consistently seeing a high number of applicants but a low conversion rate, it may want to review its job postings and application process to see what can be improved.
- Greater reach: By posting job openings on various job boards and social media platforms through the ATS, businesses can reach a larger pool of candidates and increase the chances of finding the best fit for the role., ATS can be used to schedule and conduct interviews with candidates. Many ATS have built-in scheduling tools that allow recruiters to set up and confirm interviews with candidates directly from the system. This can save time and ensure that all of the necessary parties are available for the interview.
- Enhanced analytics and reporting: Many ATS offer advanced analytics and reporting capabilities, allowing businesses to track and measure key recruitment metrics, such as the number of applicants, time to hire, and candidate conversion rate. This can help businesses identify areas for improvement and optimize their recruitment strategy.
- Improved compliance: ATS can help businesses ensure compliance with employment laws and regulations, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). By tracking and storing applicant data securely and promptly, businesses can reduce the risk of legal issues and costly fines.
- Enhanced collaboration: ATS can improve collaboration between recruiters, hiring managers, and other stakeholders by providing a centralized platform for communication and feedback. This can help ensure a smooth and efficient recruitment process.
- Cost savings: By automating certain tasks and streamlining the recruitment process, ATS can help businesses save time and money. In addition, by finding the best fit for the role more quickly, companies can reduce the risk of costly turnover and the need to re-advertise open positions.
Overall, the use of ATS in the recruitment process can significantly improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and compliance of the hiring process and also help manage applicant pools effectively. By streamlining the process and providing advanced analytics and reporting capabilities, ATS can help businesses find the best candidates and improve their overall recruitment strategy.
Thomas M. A.
A literature-lover by design and qualification, Thomas loves exploring different aspects of software and writing about the same.
Stay On Top Of Everything In HR