How to use LinkedIn Talent Insights for Talent Sourcing
Published on April 8th, 2023
In today's market, it is crucial for recruiters to have an understanding of both the external labor market and their internal workforce. By researching where top hirers are recruiting from and the fastest-growing skills in a given industry, recruiters can remain competitive.
LinkedIn Talent Insights is a talent analytics solution that can assist recruiters by providing access to data from more than 575 million professionals, 20 million companies, and 15 million active job listings worldwide. Let us explore how to use this efficient tool to stay ahead of the curve in recruiting top talent.
Understanding LinkedIn Talent Insights
This tool allows recruiters to make data-driven decisions when it comes to talent acquisition, competitor analysis, peer benchmarking, and even location-based decisions like opening a new office.
LinkedIn Talent Insights offers two types of reports: 1) The Talent Pool report and 2) the Company report.
- The Talent Pool report allows recruiters to search for talent by location and find out where the best talent is located, sometimes uncovering hidden talent pools.
- The Company report, on the other hand, provides a holistic view of trends in the labor market and helps recruiters to determine their recruitment priorities. Both reports provide valuable insights that recruiters can use to make informed decisions.
Recruiters can use LinkedIn Talent Insights to manage stakeholder expectations by backing up claims with real-time data. It can help recruiters convince hiring managers to reduce selection criteria, prioritize hiring efforts for certain skills, or even obtain management buy-in for alternative locations and remote hires.
LinkedIn Talent Insights can be used to determine the diversity of the talent pool and set meaningful targets based on real-time data. Understanding the median tenure for each role can also provide valuable insights into who is most likely to engage with outreach, allowing recruiters to build a highly targeted shortlist.
LinkedIn Talent Insights provides a wealth of competitive intelligence that can help recruiters keep up with their competitors. It also allows recruiters to discover which companies are seeing the highest or lowest growth and attrition rates, where and how they’re hiring their talent, and even which educational backgrounds they prefer. This information can help recruiters to determine where to target their recruitment efforts and which candidate pools to prioritize.
Setting Up Talent Insights for Talent Sourcing
If you are planning to run campaigns to drive conversions, you can use LinedIn’s Insight Tag, to track website conversions tied to all your LinkedIn ads, then let LinkedIn automatically optimize your campaigns for even more conversions. You'll get high-quality results without lifting a finger!
Do you want to get more leads and conversions by retargeting your website visitors? If a potential customer visits your site but leaves, the Insight Tag can help you re-engage them with LinkedIn ads. It's a winning strategy!
Do you want to learn more about who’s engaging with your brand with exclusive audience insights? Start by understanding who is visiting your website. The Insight Tag unlocks powerful demographic insights about your website visitors - such as their job titles, companies, industries, and more. Best part: it’s free!
To get started with the LinkedIn Insight Tag. Go to your Campaign Manager, under Account Assets → Insight Tag. You can do that in two ways:
Install the tag yourself by pasting the Insight Tag code from Campaign Manager in your website’s global footer. Adding the tag to the footer will let you track conversions or retarget on any page across your whole site.
Install a tag manager that helps you manage and edit all your tags without editing code. LinkedIn Insight Tag can be installed with many tag managers, including Google, Tealium, and Adobe.
How do you know your tag is working? Check the status in Campaign Manager, under Account Assets → Insight Tag. Once the Insight Tag has installed on your website and a LinkedIn member visits, your domain will show up as “Active.” Tag activation may take up to 24 hours, depending on your website traffic.
Using LinkedIn Talent Insights for Talent Sourcing
If you want to use LinkedIn Talent Insights for talent sourcing, here are the steps you can follow:
- Define your talent needs: Identify the key skills, experience, and education required for the positions you need to fill.
- Use Talent Pool Search: Use Talent Pool Search to identify the most relevant candidates who meet your requirements. You can use filters like location, industry, education, experience, and more to narrow down your search.
- Analyze talent pool: Analyze your talent pool to understand where your target talent is located, where they work now, and what skills they have. Use the charts and data provided to identify patterns and trends that can help you refine your search.
- Refine your search: Use the insights from your analysis to refine your search criteria and find more relevant candidates.
- Engage with candidates: Use LinkedIn InMail to engage with candidates and start building relationships. Use the insights you gained from Talent Insights to personalize your outreach and make a strong first impression.
- Monitor progress: Monitor your progress using Talent Insights to see how your search is performing. Use this information to make data-driven decisions about how to adjust your search and improve your results.
Advanced Features for Talent Insights
1. Platform Functionality
- Dashboard: The dashboard is a centralized hub that provides an overview of your talent management activities, including recruiting, performance management, and employee engagement. It allows you to monitor your progress and quickly access key data and reports.
- Talent Management: LinkedIn Talent Insights helps you manage your talent more effectively by providing data-driven insights on employee engagement, retention, and development. It also enables you to identify skills gaps and develop targeted training programs.
- Diversity: LinkedIn Talent Insights provides insights on diversity and inclusion within your organization, enabling you to measure progress and identify areas for improvement.
- Talent Acquisition: LinkedIn Talent Insights helps you identify and engage with the right candidates more efficiently, with data on talent supply and demand, company reports, and employer branding metrics.
2. Platform Basics
- Interoperability: LinkedIn Talent Insights can be integrated with your existing HR systems, such as applicant tracking systems and HR management software.
- Performance: The platform is optimized for performance, with fast and accurate search capabilities and real-time data updates.
- Self-service: The platform is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive, with self-service capabilities that enable users to quickly find and access the data they need.
- Automation: LinkedIn Talent Insights leverages automation to streamline processes and improve efficiency, such as automated alerts and notifications.*
3. Platform Data
- Platform Search: LinkedIn Talent Insights provides powerful search capabilities that enable you to find the right talent quickly and efficiently, with over 12 billion data points on talent, companies, jobs, skills, and schools from the world’s largest professional network.
- Dashboard: The dashboard provides real-time data and insights, enabling you to monitor key performance indicators and track progress towards your goals.
- Alerts and Notifications: LinkedIn Talent Insights provides automated alerts and notifications, enabling you to stay up-to-date on changes in talent supply and demand, company news, and employer branding metrics.
- Analytics: LinkedIn Talent Insights provides robust analytics capabilities, enabling you to gain deeper insights into your talent management activities and make data-driven decisions.
Best Practices for Using Talent Insights
1. Define your talent requirements: Start by identifying the skills, experience, and qualifications you require for your open positions. This will help you focus your search and avoid wasting time on irrelevant candidates.
2. Use advanced filters: LinkedIn Talent Insights offers advanced filters that allow you to refine your search results based on specific criteria such as location, industry, company size, job function, and more. Use these filters to narrow down your search and find the most relevant candidates.
3. Monitor industry trends: Keep an eye on industry trends and hiring patterns using LinkedIn Talent Insights. This will help you stay ahead of the competition and make informed decisions about your hiring strategy.
4. Leverage company reports: Use LinkedIn Talent Insights' company reports to gain insights into your competitors' talent acquisition and retention strategies. This will help you identify areas where you can improve your own processes and stay ahead of the competition.
5. Analyze employer branding metrics: Use LinkedIn Talent Insights to measure and analyze your employer branding metrics, such as your company's follower growth and engagement rates. This will help you identify opportunities to improve your employer branding and attract top talent.
6. Create talent pipelines: Use LinkedIn Talent Insights to build talent pipelines for future hiring needs. This will help you stay prepared for upcoming hiring demands and save time and effort when you need to fill open positions.
7. Collaborate with team members: LinkedIn Talent Insights allows you to share search results and collaborate with team members on talent acquisition efforts. This can help you pool your resources and expertise to find the best candidates for your open positions.
8. Stay organized: Use LinkedIn Talent Insights' dashboard and alerts to stay organized and on top of your hiring pipeline. This will help you avoid missing out on top talent and ensure a smooth hiring process.
9. Engage with potential candidates: Use LinkedIn Talent Insights to identify and engage with potential candidates before they apply for your open positions. This will help you build relationships with top talent and stay top of mind when they're ready to make a move.
10. Use third-party tools: Using tools like LinkedIn Recruiter and HireQuotient's Easy Source can be a powerful way to streamline and optimize your talent sourcing process. Explore other third-party tools that integrate with LinkedIn Talent Insights to improve your recruiting efficiency and effectiveness. Here are some basic features of Easy Source:
- Easy Source provides filtering capabilities based on job title, geography, experience, skills, education, industry, course, and work authorization/permit.
- Recruiters can quickly identify candidates with the right level of experience and qualifications using EasySource's filtering capabilities.
- The filtering options for job title, location, experience, skills, education, industry, course, and work authorization/permit help recruiters find the best candidates for their open positions.
- EasySource allows recruiters to search for candidates who have specific skills required for the job.
- Recruiters can filter candidates based on their previous industry experience and educational background.
- EasySource is particularly useful for companies looking to hire locally or for recruiters who are sourcing candidates for remote positions.
- EasySource allows recruiters to filter candidates based on their work authorization or permit status, which is helpful for positions that require specific permits or work authorization.
LinkedIn Talent Insights can be a powerful tool for talent sourcing if used effectively. By leveraging the platform's functionality, data, and best practices, recruiters can identify and engage with top talent, improve their diversity initiatives, and optimize their overall talent acquisition strategy. With the integration of HireQuotient's Easy Source, recruiters can further streamline their talent sourcing process by expanding their search beyond LinkedIn and accessing multiple channels from a single platform. By keeping up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in talent sourcing, recruiters can stay ahead of the competition and attract the best candidates for their open positions.
Thomas M. A.
A literature-lover by design and qualification, Thomas loves exploring different aspects of software and writing about the same.
Never Miss The Updates
We cover all recruitment, talent analytics, L&D, DEI, pre-employment, candidate screening, and hiring tools. Join our force & subscribe now!
Stay On Top Of Everything In HR