The CFO of Your Dreams: Tips for Hiring the Perfect Finance Manager
Published on March 4th, 2023
Finance is a vital part of any company, as it is often the department that is established before any other. The finance team is responsible for assessing a venture's viability and determining how it can generate revenue. To ensure that finance is managed effectively, it is important to understand what it entails. Therefore, hiring an efficient finance manager becomes extremely important for any business.
A finance manager is essential to the success of any business. Without proper financial management, even the most impressive product, marketing, and sales teams won't be able to sustain success over the long term.
That’s where your finance manager comes into play. The finance manager is essential to your business's success. They handle bookkeeping and forecasting and collaborate with the finance department, accountants, and financial analysts to keep track of the company's financial situation. Ultimately, their goal is to ensure that your company is making prudent financial choices today that will help you have a healthy cash flow in the future.
Managing finances is indeed a complex task, with many components that require knowledge of financial services. Nevertheless, the personal traits and intangibles that a finance manager brings to the table are just as important as their technical skills.
You cannot take a chance when it comes to something as important as this; it is essential to utilize objective data to inform your hiring decisions instead of relying solely on intuition. Doing so will reduce the chances of any biases impacting the outcome. Making the right hire doesn't have to be complicated. This article provides you with the easy steps you can follow to hire a high-performing financial manager for your organization.
What are the benefits of hiring a finance manager?
Finance managers are in charge of maintaining the financial well-being of an organization. They create financial documents, direct investments, and come up with strategies and objectives to reach the organization's long-term financial goals. Daily, these fiscal professionals assess investment information, draw up financial records and business accounts, ensure fiscal activities comply with the law, track investments and search for possible ways of increasing profits. With their knowledge, they provide financial advice to management.
All in all, it becomes extremely important for businesses to hire a capable finance manager. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 16.8% employment growth for financial managers between 2021 and 2031. In that period, an estimated 123,100 jobs should open up.
You could employ a financial manager to:
- Explore ways to enhance business performance while minimizing potential risks through the use of alternative measurement tools.
- Drive value within the business through margin enhancement, lowering costs, and driving operational efficiencies.
- Carry out precise reporting to evaluate alternatives and propose monetary advice.
- Gain a deeper understanding of how the business is performing relative to its competitors and current industry developments.
- Maintain communication with financial institutions, accountants, and government tax agencies.
- Stay up-to-date with current financial regulations by researching and analyzing applicable laws and regulations.
Tips for Hiring the Perfect Finance Manager
1. Define the competencies and attributes needed for a successful finance manager position
When looking for a finance manager, it is essential to consider their abilities in both the technical and interpersonal aspects of the job. What qualities are essential for a successful finance manager to possess? Let’s take a look!!!
- A successful applicant should possess a strong range of technical abilities. Their portfolio of competencies should include the following:
- Outstanding aptitude for evaluating financial data.
- Proficiency in interpreting and creating financial documents.
- A thorough understanding of accounting concepts.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and data evaluation.
- Previous knowledge or expertise in financial planning and/or risk management.
You might search for applicants who possess certain financial credentials. Many competent financial managers possess one of the following qualifications.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
- Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Certified Treasury Professional (CTP)
- Certified Financial Manager (CFM)
- Certified Bank Auditor (CBA)
- Certified International Investment Analyst (CIIA)
- Chartered Wealth Manager (CWM)
For the intangible qualities you would want from a finance manager, think about the abilities that are essential for a successful cash flow. What qualities should they exhibit? You might prioritize applicants with exquisite soft skills who are highly organized, excellent communicators, and have the capacity for critical thinking.
- Strategic and proactive
- Able to communicate effectively
- Good at problem-solving
- Highly organized
- Able to work collaboratively with a team
- Able to provide leadership and guidance
Shift the emphasis to behavioral traits. Emphasize the character and mindset of the applicant when selecting a finance manager. What qualities do you want this individual to possess to be successful in the role? What kind of attitude do you want them to bring to your business? Considering these factors and the individual’s technical skills will help you find the best fit for the job.
You should put this concept into action when hiring a finance manager. Make sure to look for someone meticulous with their work who will handle the company's finances with the utmost diligence and accuracy. This individual should always double-check their work and be hesitant to accept any major decisions without proper examination.
Include language in the job description that emphasizes the need for the desired behavioral traits. You might use phrases such as:
- Have a keen eye for detail.
- Be able to approach problems analytically.
- Be careful not to take unnecessary risks.
- Have a focus on efficiently completing tasks
2. Uncover True Potential Through Professional Experience
A person new to the role of Finance Manager may not have had the chance to build up the required proficiency to start and be productive immediately. Therefore, it may be more beneficial to recruit someone who has held the position before. Whether or not this is a viable option would depend on how much assistance is available for the person assuming this role.
To hire a successful Finance Manager, it is necessary to find someone who not only has the technical expertise in finance but has also demonstrated the ability to manage a team. Supervisory experience, alongside training and mentoring expertise, is essential for a Finance Manager who can guide and support their team to drive financial results. It is invaluable to have a Finance Manager who is a proficient leader.
When it comes to hiring a Finance Manager, consider candidates with experience in your field and those who have a different viewpoint and can potentially offer new approaches to the problems of your industry.
3. Recognizing Unseen Bias: A Path to Fairness
When considering whom to hire, it can be difficult to ignore your connections or preferences. Though it may not be a conscious decision, relying on these gut feelings can lead to the wrong hire due to your own biases. To ensure that you make the best choice, it’s important to make decisions objectively, rather than letting your emotions dictate.
Rather than emphasizing subjective observations, prioritize objective data. When reviewing resumes, ensure that you are taking into account all the components of the application—from the applicant's competencies and beliefs to their behavioral characteristics and intellectual capabilities. This will guarantee a balanced and comprehensive screening process for all job seekers.
Once you've chosen a few potential candidates, you can progress to the interviewing stage. Use data to inform your decisions here too; HireQuotient can help you create interview questions that are tailored to a person's individual qualities and abilities.
4. Unleash The Hidden Gems with Internal Assessments
To ensure the successful hiring of a finance manager, carry out an internal evaluation. Figure out what the role requires currently and in the future. Involve the primary people affected by the hiring choice in the conversation. This not only encourages people to participate, but also produces a clear set of criteria that can be used to judge applicants for the job. The result of this is a more efficient and confident method of making decisions.
HireQuotient is experienced in filling specialized roles, such as financial, accounting, human resources, and operational positions, thanks to our technology and process that has been designed to enhance decision-making and reduce prejudice in the hiring process. You can make use of the wide range of assessments that we have facilitated to make your hiring process much smooth and quick.
5. Achieving a Harmonious Balance for Success: Culture and value alignment
You may want to take into account additional factors aside from skills, experience, and qualifications when making your hiring decisions. These could be specific to your company and its needs.
Finding a talented and knowledgeable Financial Manager who meshes well with the existing culture of your organization is essential for success. Having someone who can quickly acclimate to the team will ensure a smooth transition. It is important to make sure that the candidate you hire for the position of Finance Manager shares the same values as the organization to ensure that they will be able to successfully promote its mission and vision.
Getting the Job Done - Smooth Sailing Through the Interview Process
The interview stage is a crucial part of the recruitment process. This is your chance to determine if the applicant is suitable for the job or not. When interviewing a potential finance manager, here are a few useful interview questions that are worth asking.
- Describe a situation when your team dealt with disagreement. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?
- Do you think that there are exceptions to every rule? Why or why not?
- How do you go about making a decision that carries a lot of risks but also has the potential for a great reward?
- Explain an experience where you had to ensure a project was completed on time. What difficulties did you face and what did you learn?
- What do you think are the essential qualities of a successful financial manager?
- Have you ever disagreed with a member of upper management about an investment decision? What example can you provide and how did you handle the situation?
- Can you tell me about a time when you had to prepare a financial report with a very tight deadline? What steps did you take?
- What is the largest budget you’ve been in charge of in your previous role? How did you manage it?
- If you could only use one financial statement to evaluate the financial health of your company, what would it be and why?
- What do you do in your free time to stay up-to-date on business finance trends and reporting methods?
The Bottom Line
Hiring the right finance manager for your business can be a challenging task, but with the right approach and strategies, you can locate the ideal candidate. Start by making sure the finance manager has the qualifications and experience needed for the job. Then consider the type of finance manager you need based on the size of your business and any specialized skills they need, such as accounting or investments.
Make sure to take into account the personality of the finance manager and how they will interact with other members of the team. Furthermore, do a thorough background check to make sure the candidate is a good fit. Ultimately, it is essential to take the time to find the right candidate for the job, as this will ensure that your business runs efficiently and is financially secure.
You can access everything you need with a few clicks away, so take a look at the HireQuotient website to book a demo or get on a call with one of our knowledgeable staff to discover how we can assist you in hiring a finance manager for your company.
Radhika Sarraf is a content specialist and a woman of many passions who currently works at HireQuotient, a leading recruitment SaaS company. She is a versatile writer with experience in creating compelling articles, blogs, social media posts, and marketing collaterals.
Stay On Top Of Everything In HR